Determining what is and is not medical malpractice can be a difficult and tricky task. An experienced lawyer will be able to recognize when a client has a chance at a medical malpractice claim, but an expert opinion is always necessary to know for sure. Here we cover the basis of medical malpractice that all claims are built on, and look at some common examples.
Violation of Accepted Standards of Care
The underlying principle relevant to every medical malpractice case is the violation of accepted standards of care on the part of the health care provider that results in an injury. What the accepted standard of care is varies from case to case based on the exact injury, and it is up to an expert medical opinion to determine if that standard was violated.
Common Examples of Medical Malpractice
- Surgical Injuries: Surgery is a complicated and often frightening procedure that carries plenty of risk for the patient. Prior to your operation, the surgeon must discuss all possible risks and any alternative options you have.
- Failure to Diagnose: If a health care provider fails to diagnose a medical condition it can result in serious injury to the patient. Even a delay in diagnoses that allows a disease to progress could be considered malpractice.
- Nursing Home Abuse: We trust nursing homes with the care of the elderly in our family, and expect them to be looked after with diligence and respect. In the state of Maryland, negligence of a resident can be defined as physical, sexual, mental, or verbal mistreatment.
- Hospital and Nurse Negligence: Negligence is the clearest form of malpractice. A disorderly hospital or careless nursing can lead to injury to you or a loved one.
- Failure to Properly Read/Interpret Radiological Films: Radiological films are used in a wide variety of applications in healthcare. Failure on the part of a radiologist to interpret the films could lead to a health care professional misunderstanding a chronic condition or failing to diagnose an issue.
Need Representation for Your Medical Malpractice Claim? Call 410-THE-FIRM!
The Snyder Law Group, LLC, proudly represents clients throughout Maryland and Washington, D.C. Our experienced Baltimore attorneys understand the frustration that comes with an insurance company, medical professional, or other party that refuses to accept liability for negligent or reckless behavior. You can take heart in knowing there are talented and experienced lawyers ready to work for you. We are experienced in handling personal injury claims of medical malpractice or injury resulting from serious car and truck accidents, and have secured hundreds of millions in verdicts settlements*. Please visit our website, www.410thefirm.com, for more information and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google +, and LinkedIn.